City of London
The largest parish church in the City of London it is also one of those that survived the Great Fire of 1666.
The Church is closely associated with the Old Bailey which stands close by and with Newgate Jail which once stood across the road. The bells which were rung in the condemneds ears the night before their execution are kept in St. Sepulchres, as are the rhyming admonitions chanted at them as they left for the scaffold. The tenor bell of the tower was rung at 8 in the morning for those about to die do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee to coin a phrase.
Some remnants of the old medieval church do survive. The porch has 15th Century fan vaulting and the exteriors have a touch of Victorianised-medieval about them. However the interiors are a mix of Classical and Victorian with an exceptionally tall straight ceiling from 1834 supported by thin stuccoed columns. The overall impression is of a Wren church, strange as he was entirely uninvolved.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller