CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST. SAVAS
The Church of St. Columbus an Anglican foundation was built in 1903, a fairly municipal looking, plain fronted building, very typical of post-Victorian churches where ostentation was frowned upon.
It would seem the congregation was never that solid as it was turned over to the Serbian Orthodox Church fairly early on and was consecrated as the only Serbian Cathedral in the UK in 1952, the ceremony being conducted by the Serbian theologian Bishop Nikolai Velimirovic.
For the casual visitor, the most interesting item, when the Cathedral is actually open, are the twin thrones on the altar one for the Bishop and one for the Serbian Royal Family. The Throne was often used during the Communist years of Yugoslavia when the Serbian Royal Family in exile lived in London Elizabeth II has also sat on the same throne, being one of the godparents to the young Serbian royals.
Photos - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller