MINSTER ABBEY, ISLE OF SHEPPEY
Benedictine then Augustinian Monks
The Abbey was founded in 670, but was abandoned during the period of Viking raids. It was refounded by the Benedictines in 1080 but by 1396 had become an Augustinian Priory. After the Dissolution the Abbey became the Parish Church of Minster-in-Sheppey.
The most interesting feature is the Gatehouse (from which this picture was taken), much of the church buildings being incorporated into the later parish building.
The Gatehouse operates as a small museum and is one of the few places on the Isle of Sheppey truly worth making the journey out there to.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller