West Riding of Yorkshire
The earliest church here was wooden and was built around 1100. The Monks from Bolton Priory rebuilt it around 1300 and it was extended eastwards late in the 1400s, most probably by Richard III whilst he was still Earl of Richmond.
During the Civil War the tower was damaged, the curse of being right next door to Skipton Castle, but during the Republic it was repaired by Lady Anne Clifford who also repaired the Castle.
This church survived unscathed until 1853 when lightning struck the tower. Repairs were undertaken once more and at about the same time gas lighting was installed in the church. This had the unfortunate side affect of making everything warmer and causing a rather unpleasant smell to emanate from the burial vaults which was only dampened by having 30 cms of concrete poured on the floor to block the smell in.
Lightning never strikes twice, they say. Holy Trinity Church might disagree as the tower was hit for a second time in 1925 causing a fire. Repairs were undertaken once more and today the church stands proud over Skipton again, even though most visitors hurry past to the Castle.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller