STEEPLE MORDEN CHURCH
It is nothing if not a surprise to come to Steeple Morden and find a church without a steeple!
The explanation is that it fell off in 1633 and only the stump remains. It must have been quite special as it gave its name to the village.
The church is, by and large, 14th Century with some 15th Century additions. It is most notable now for its almost detached south porch tower which is today crowned by a wooden belfry and spire dating to 1866.
The interior of the church is largely devoid of great interest being almost completely cleaned out during the Reformation. A little colour is added by the stained glass, but don’t be fooled – most of this dates to 1901 and is by C.E. Kempe, even then this was rescued from a church in South London and installed here in 2000.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller