ALL SOULS' CHURCH
Langham Place, London
One of the most distinctive buildings in the heart of London's West End, All Souls' is often referred to as "The Actor's Church" because of its position just outside the BBC's first building (pictured in the background of this photo).
All Souls' was built under the instructions of John Nash as part of his grand avenue leading from Piccadilly to Regent's Park - most of which is now called Regents Street. The position of the Church was quite deliberate as it hides a slight kink in the road which Nash wished to appear to be a naturally straight and impressive thoroughfare.
Work was completed in December 1823 and the church opened the following November.
In 1940 a landmine exploded causing a lot of damage to the roof of the main body of the church, which lies to one side of the distinctive rotunda entrance. The congregation moved until 1971 when rennovation work was finally completed. From 1951 to 1994 the BBC broadcast religious programming from All Souls' until the unit moved to Manchester.
All Souls' is now the only remaining church by John Nash surviving in London.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller