GREAT STAMBRIDGE CHURCH
Like many churches the one here has uncertain origins. It seems certain that a church existed here before the Norman Conquest, on high ground over looking the River Roach. Of this church some walling now remains dating to 1020-1040, it seems the original church was of very simple design and didnt have a tower or aisles.
Around 1250 the church was greatly extended to the south and then in 1350 it was extended again to the east. The tower was added around 1450, by which time the village that the church served had died off in the Black Death and was being rebuilt close by.
Around 1800 the brick parapet was added to the top of the tower and was used as a lookout for potential French invasion fleets sailing up the River and sneaking around to London overland from Essex.
Today the church seems stranded in a remote setting by the Essex marshes.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller