Stanground stands swamped by the suburbs and industry of Peterborough, although it is in fact in the ancient county of Huntingdonshire. It still manages to retain a slightly village-like feel, in spite of the encroaching houses and ring-roads. The church itself stands in a quiet corner of the old village and feels surprisingly rural.
The church is thought to date from the 1200s but nothing any earlier than the early 1400s has survived and the vast majority is from a major rebuild in the 1840s when the church was very heavily Victorianised. More work was done in the 1870s and the tower and spire were rebuilt circa 1907.
In the churchyard is the Lampass Cross – an 11th Century cross, albeit re-erected on a Victorian stone base. It was found by a road in nearby Farcet and was moved to the vicarage gardens in 1868 and subsequently to the churchyard in 1927.
The spire of Stanground Church, along with that of nearby Fletton, mark the crossing of the River Nene from Peterborough into Huntingdonshire.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller