ST. EDMUNDSBURY CATHEDRAL
Full dedication: Cathedral Church of St. James
Became a Cathedral in 1913
St Edmund was martyred in 869 and his remains were brought to Bury St. Edmunds (hence the name) turning it into one of the most important pilgrimage sites in England. The Abbey dominated the town until the Dissolution.
The Church of St. James started out life as one of Suffolk's "wool churches" with the same architect as Lavenham Church, John Wastell.
This church was greatly enlarged during the 1860s by George Gilbert Scott. In 1913 the church was upgraded to Cathedral status with further embellishments planned. The Cathedral has remained in a state of half completion ever since without its spire topping the tower. However, as a Millennium grant the construction of the central tower was finally finished in 2005.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller