ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH
The old parish church of Stevenage stands a long way from both the old town of Stevenage and (even further) from the new town. An ancient Saxon church was rebuilt around 1100 and, unusually, the only part remaining from this original is the solid-looking stone tower. The rest has been rebuilt on some many occasions that its overall architectural style is all but obscured.
After the new town was built, St. Nicholas became one of 9 parish churches and was amalgamated with nearby Graveley Parish, St. Nicholas becoming the main parish church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller