St. Michael’s Church in Stewkley is the best example of Norman architecture surviving in Buckinghamshire. It seems probable that it was built in the mid-1100s on the orders of Geoffrey de Clinton, who was granted the land at that time.
Very little has changed beyond the addition of a porch in 1860, and the original distinctive chevron decorations still exist both inside and outside giving it a very clear Norman appearance. A vestry was added to 1910, but aside from this Stewkley is a magnificent example of an unspoilt early Norman church building and certainly worth seeking out.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller