Stilton – famous for its cheese – does not seem to have a particularly ancient history. It stands on the old A1 – the Great North Road – but has now been bypassed by the modern A1(M), turning it into a very sleepy little place.
The Church dates to no earlier than the 13th Century, although the vast majority is 15th Century. All of this has been very heavily rebuilt, starting in 1808 with further massive restoration in 1857 and a final stage in 1908.
This has left us with a bit of a hodge-podge of a building which is not one of Huntingdonshire’s finest churches.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller