ST. NEOTS CHURCH
This large church, one of the largest in the county, is often called “The Cathedral of Huntingdonshire” – one of those few counties without a genuine Cathedral.
It is thought to date from the 14th Century, making it quite a late founding. It is now hard to find all the medieval work because it has been very thoroughly renovated by the Victorians and although still impressive is now largely a construct of that period.
The church is dominated by its 128 foot high tower with its corner pinnacles, a style untypical of the East of England. It seems that the tower was built during the time that St. Neots Priory was still in working order – so before the Dissolution of the Monasteries as it bears the arms of Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham who was a patron of the Priory.
A lot of the surviving work on the church dates from a period around 1850-1901 including the replacing of the nave roof in 1881 (although the interior from the original was retained), a refit of the interior around 1847, replacing of all the stained glass between 1840 and 1865, a new organ circa 1855, the pulpit and chancel interiors around 1860, and finally the embattlement of the chancel in 1901.All of this has left us with an impressively bulky piece of ecclesiastical architecture and by far the dominant building in one of the more underrated towns in the area.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller