A Saxon church stood here before the Norman Conquest and evidence of burials was found during excavations in the 1890s. The earliest remains of today’s St. Mary’s Church date to around 1150 when it was granted to Chicksands Priory by Simon de Beauchamp.
Around 1370 the south aisle was added and around 1450 the chancel was enlarged. The tower was added late in the 15th Century and was heavily renovated in the 1800s when the rather dull render was added to the exterior.
In the 1932 plaster was removed from the interior exposing the original 14th Century wooden beams. In 2001 the tower was renovated once more and the lead was replaced. Sadly this original lead which had ancient grafitti on it was melted down for recycling and only pictures now remain to record them.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller