ST. MARY'S CHURCH

Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales

St. Mary's Church, Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales

The church of St. Mary in Swansea could be described as unlucky.

It began life around 1328 and survived quite happily until 1739 when the roof of the nave collapsed shortly before morning service on a Sunday. All was rebuilt apart from the tower. In 1822 the church was lit by gas lamps. Between 1879 and 1882 the church was rebuilt once more. Then in 1896 it was demolished entirely and Arthur Blomfield was employed to rebuild it. In 1941 the Luftwaffe bombed Swansea and the church was left ruined. It was not rebuilt until the 1950s.

When Blomfield was employed to rebuild the Church a disgruntled rival created a statue on the buildings facing the church of the Devil – known as the Swansea Devil. It still overlooks the church today, but from the window of the nearby Quadrant Shopping Centre.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery