The Church at Tewin is one of the oldest in central Hertfordshire. It dates to around AD 604, shortly after the Saxons converted to Christianity. The north wall of today’s church is considered to date from this early Saxon structure.
the time the
Further additions came around 1266 and an extensive period of rebuilding from 1377 lasted until around 1547, by which time the chancel, aisle, south porch and tower were all rebuilt or added.
As ever, the Victorians got their hands on the church and in 1864 and then again extensively in 1903 the church was heavily and occasionally clumsily renovated, which renders its appearance now to be Victorian whereas in reality it is much older than that.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller