The Catholic Theatine Church of St. Catejan stands overlooking the Munich Residenz and was constructed on the orders of Elector Ferdinand Maria and his wife, Henriette, as a votive of thanks for the birth of their son, Prince Max Emanuel in 1662.
At this time Italian Baroque was very much the fashion in Europe and so the Italian architect Agostino Barelli was brought in to design the church. Work began in 1663. Barelli died in 1687 and his successor, Enrico Zuccalli, added the two towers at the front of the church. The 71 meter dome was the last part of the church to be completed in 1690. The rococo façade was not added until 1768.
The interior work dates largely from the 1680s and is one of the finest collections of extant church architecture in Munich. The church escaped damage in World War II and thus has survived in more or less the condition it could be found in in the mid 18th Century.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller