A medieval church stood here, but that was demolished and rebuilt in 1744. However, that church was also demolished and rebuilt by James Fowler of Louth in 1879. This new church, built of local green sandstone is quite small but has a distinguishing octagonal belfry. This was originally surmounted by a spire but that has been removed for safety reasons. Sadly, the whole church was closed in 2010 because it was unsafe and to date it hasn’t been reopened. Thimbleby is an attractive village with a number of very ancient thatched buildings.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller