ST. THOMAS' CHAPEL
The earliest of three churches dedicated to St Thomas (Becket) which was originally founded here in 1221 to act as a stopover for pilgrims en route from East Anglia via London to Canterbury. It is hard to make out what remains today in relation to a church shape, but a tower was added in the late 14th Century and the chancel rebuilt shortly afterwards.
Although only small the Chapel remained the only major church in Brentwood until the early 19th Century. It was finally deconsecrated in 1873 and partly demolished for no obvious reason.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller