St. George’s Church in Toddington is yet another of Bedfordshire’s chequerboard churches, this time chiefly 14th Century with some 15th Century additions. Much of the interior and the nave arcades, bell tower and the north end of the church date from 1665.
The interior monuments date largely from the mid-late Tudor period. However, there are at least two both representing members of the Peyve family which date from 1361 and 1429.
The church was renovated in the late 1800s as was fairly standard practice across English churches, although by and large it was done with a degree of care for the original structure. We are left with a pleasant but unspectacular church of the kind which becomes rapidly familiar to anyone touring the churches of southern Bedfordshire.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller