ST. GEORGE'S TRON CHURCH
The first church was built here around 1687 as The Wynd Church. At that time the area was on the western extremity of the City Centre and was an area of some squalor and degredation. Around 1808 the decision was made to build a new church as part of the expansion of Glasgow. The architect chosen was William Stark (who Sir Walter Scott regarded as a genius) and he built the distinctive, bulky church which now stands at the very heart of modern Glasgow.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller