Full Dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Mary
Became a Cathedral in 1877
Truro is something of a baby in Cathedral terms. Despite it's distinctively medieval appearance work was not commenced until 1880, previously St. Mary's Church performed the Diocesan function and part of that Church was incorporated into the new Cathedral. St. Mary's dates back to the 1250's and is by far the oldest section of today's Cathedral.
In 944 there was a makeshift Diocese based at St. German's and another at Crediton, these were later merged to form the Diocese of Exeter and Cornwall was left without a Cathedral for many centuries until St. Mary's was pressed into service in 1877, at which time the plans of architect J. L. Pearson were well under way.
The western towers, Truro's most attractive feature, were not added to the west front until 1910. The Nave was dedicated in 1903. The interiors follow the standard medieval plan of a Cathedral, although the old aisle of St. Mary's which today performs a function as parish church, sits off to the south of the main body of the Cathedral.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller