One of North Kent’s most unusual churches, it is known for its odd so-called ‘candle snuffer’ steeple. The church dates to the 14th Century with the bell tower being added in the mid-16th Century. Sir Francis Drake’s father was vicar here around 1560, shortly after the tower was added. A medieval charnel house was discovered underneath the church in 1877 when Sir Arthur Blomfield was undertaking a series of renovations. The charnel house had a number of bodies in it and they were re-interred in the churchyard.
The unusual shape of the steeple may be to help with navigation on the Thames Estuary.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. and Jacqui Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller