Uttoxeter has two Anglican churches – both are called St. Mary’s just to add to the confusion. So the other church is often referred to as “The Heath Church” to differentiate it from this one in the town centre (as if this isn’t enough, the Catholic Church (A.W.N. Pugin’s first church) is also called St. Mary’s!).
The Parish Church stands close to the Market Square where Dr Johnson famously paid penance for not attending his father’s market stall by standing out in the rain. He would have recognised the spire which dates to the original 15th Century construction of the church. Everything else dates to later construction.
In the English Civil War the church was used as shelter by Royalist forces after the final decisive Battle of Uttoxeter in 1648 – the last major defeat of a Royalist force in the Second Civil War.
By 1828 Uttoxeter had outgrown the church and it was rebuilt by James Trubshaw, however, it was too small once more by 1877 and the vast majority of what stands today is from that rebuild.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller