ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH
Visby, Gotland, Sweden
St. George’s Church is one of the few ruined churches in Visby to be outside of the City Walls. However, there is a reason for this isolation, because St. George’s was the chapel for a hospital for Lepers who were not allowed inside of the City for fear of contamination.
The hospital is now gone, demolished in 1542, but the modern hospital stands close by – strange how things repeat through history.
The church outlived the hospital for some time. The cemetery was used in 1710 to bury 450 bubonic plague victims and for the last time in 1850 during a cholera epidemic.
Now the church is ruined, like so many in Visby.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. and Jacqui Müller and S. Smith
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller