ST. STEPHEN WALLBROOK
City of London
St Stephen Wallbrook is one of the most rewarding of all the City Churches. It stands on a small square at the top of what was once a stream the Wall Brook. The old church was destroyed in the Great Fire and Wren built one of his most pleasing churches between 1672 and 1677. The Portland stone steeple was added around 1717 and finishes the Church beautifully.
Although the exterior is not specifically more exciting than many other Wren churches it benefits from being able to be seen fully. Once you pass inside the Church, however, its true beauty can be appreciated. It is one of the most impressive of all the Citys churches with a semi-circular domed apse surrounded by small columned porticos all in a delicate honey-coloured marble. Contemporary touches are added by the altar by Henry Moore and the surrounding benches and carvings by Andrew Varah.
Sir John Vanbrugh is buried here. In 1953 the Samaritans was founded in this very church and the first telephone used by the organisation is on a plinth in the south-west corner.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller