ST. JOHN'S CHURCH
After the Napoleonic Wars ended the population of
The architect employed was Francis Octavius
began work in 1824.
Blomfield renovated the church in 1885 and the insides were kitted out by the inimitable Ninian Comper in 1924. Alas, all of this was lost when a bomb hit the church in 1940 destroying the roof and most of the interior. It took ten years to rebuild the church. Interior remodelling was undertaken in a modern style by Thomas Ford and in 1951 the Church was re-dedicated as the “Festival of Britain Church”.
In 1998 an 8-year programme of rebuilding and
came to an end leaving the church now clean, white and gleaming amidst
grime and heaving traffic around
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller