The earliest record of Waterbeach Church was around 1160. It was built under the auspices of Denny Abbey and later passed to Barnwell Priory. In 1189 it was proposed that Barnwell owned the church tithes illegally and so it ended up in the demesne of Swavesey Priory instead. The Priors kept the advowson of the parish until the Dissolution of the Monasteries when the ownership of the manor passed to the Crown.
In 1562 the See of Ely took control of the parish where it remains to this day.
The church building dates partially from the early days under Swavesey, but has been very heavily rebuilt in the Victorian period and it is difficult to see anything much earlier than this restoration. By the 1870s the Camden Society had undergone a thorough restructuring of the Church and today it is more Victorian than ancient.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller