WELLS PARISH CHURCH
There appears to have been a pre-Christian burial ground here at Wells, a small mound adjoining the church site is thought to date to that period. The first church was a wooden one built during the reign of Alfred the Great (the late 9th Century) and was probably dedicated to St. Cuthbert, as the church is today.
An early Norman church replaced the wooden one, but neither have left any solid evidence. The third church dates to the 13th Century and some parts of this structure do survive. The majority, however, is 15th Century. There was a central tower on the church until 1561 when it either collapsed or was removed.
The tower was not constructed at the west end of the church until Victorian renovations which we very extensive.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller