A church seems to have existed here since the Saxon period, but nothing remains of it. The first records of a church date to 1190. However, today the very earliest remaining work is the 13th Century chancel, the nave although from that date was much altered in the 15th Century and then extended and altered again in the 20th. The south aisle and porch date to the 15th Century but were almost entirely rebuilt in the 19th when the north aisle was added. The 19th Century rebuild was under the direction of Arthur Blomfield and his son was in charge of the final rebuilding work around 1910 when the tower was built – the third one at the church.
Only one window survives from earlier than the 19th Century rebuilding work. The east window replaced three 15th Century lancet windows which were destroyed after a fire in 1952. Although the church looks like it has been here since time immemorial, it is in fact by and large an imposter and largely Victorian and later.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller