Much Wenlock is a rather attractive small town which grew up around one of the Marches largest Priories. Wenlock was founded by Leofric of Mercia, the husband of Lady Godiva who famously rode through Coventry naked on horseback. Wenlock was begun around 1050 on the site of an earlier nunnery. It became a Cluniac Priory and remained in use until the Dissolution. A 15th century infirmary and prior's lodge were saved from ruination by becoming a private house.
Although Wenlock Priory is now a ruin it is a large and impressive one, probably the most impressive of all Shropshire's ecclesiastical ruins. It is owned by English Heritage and open to the public for a small charge.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Shaun and Alison Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller