The solidly built church of St. Mary the Virgin in Westerham dates to the 14th Century. It was almost continuously being tweaked and improved and altered right up until the Victorian period when a great restoration robbed us of a music gallery and three-deck pulpit but did open up the view of the roof. The church was rededicated in 1883 by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The font has seen the baptisms of General James Wolfe (Westerhams local hero for whom there is a statue nearby) and also three of Winston Churchills grandchildren.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller