Unusually for Hertfordshire Westmill Church has some traces of Saxon stonework which would make this one of the older churches in the area. Work continued through the early Norman period and, as ever, the tower was added around the 14th Century – a very common history line for many English parish churches. The roof, which dates to the 15th Century, is the second highest in the county after St. Alban’s Cathedral.
All of this was heavily altered during the Victorian period, in 1876 the church was actually closed for a year to allow renovations to take place. Inside are two wooden pillars for holding candles, these are all that were built of an altar, the last to be designed by Sir Ninian Comper, who unfortunately died before completion and whose design proved to be much too large for the building and so was abandoned.The oldest grave in Hertfordshire is set into the wall by the door, it dates to 1296 and is that of Sir Nicholas de Lewknor.
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller