An early wooden church is believed to have stood here in Saxon times, but the first stone church was built in the early 13th Century. The Chancel is the first part of the church to have a definite date assigned to it when it was rebuilt and lengthened in 1238. The east window triple lancets survive from this period as does the distinctive dog-tooth decoration around the doorway and window.
The central tower was added in 1290 under the aegis of the See of Lincoln (which Wheathampstead formed part of until 1845).
There was been a vast amount of restoration since the 14th Century, including the usual extensive changes during the Victorian period, but St. Helen’s is still one of the most distinctive of Hertfordshire’s churches.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller