County Wicklow, Ireland
An ancient church stood where today’s cemetery stands, but nothing remains of it. It was founded by Mantan, an attendant of St. Patrick.
A permanent church was finally built in 1797 which survives today as a Youth Centre. The current St. Patrick’s Church began life in the 1830s under the aegis of Archdeacon John Grant. The foundation stone was finally laid in 1840 by the Archbishop of Dublin and the first mass was heard in 1844.
The grand steps that lead up to the church were added in 1954 and the areas around the church were landscaped and opened up creating the dominance over the town that is the most startling property of this otherwise oddly un-Irish church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller