Little St. Andrew’s Church has become almost a chapel for magnificent Wimpole Hall in whose shadow it stands.
However, strictly speaking, the church is the Parish Church for the village of Wimpole which stands some distance away. A 14th Century building was, by and large, demolished in 1748 when the conversion of the Hall into the spectacular building we see today was begun – all that survived was the north chapel, now dedicated to the Chicheley family who built the Hall.
The present building, which has the “chest” form common at the time, was designed by Henry Flitcroft who was employed to rebuild Wimpole Hall (Flitcroft is a great forgotten architect who is also responsible (or had a hand in) such great buildings as Woburn Abbey, Stourhead, Wentworth Woodhouse and Stowe). His church was completed in 1749 and is little changed since then.
Although nothing but a minor distraction on a visit to Wimpole Hall and Home Farm, the Church is worth a quick look to gain a full picture of what an 18th Century Estate church looks like.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller