Wisbech Church is a massive edifice, seemingly out of place in this sleepy Fenland town. However, Wisbech, which once also possessed a great Castle, was for many years one of the largest towns in the East of England.
A Church had existed since early times but the first stone church was built around 1187. Over the next century as town, castle and church grew in importance, the church was expanded and today it has a double nave and twin chancels, reflecting the wealth of the guilds who were financing the work.
In 1450 one of the Norman towers came down in a storm and the replacement tower when eventually built 80 years later stands slightly detached from the main body of the church.
Inside most work is from the 17th-19th Centuries.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller