ST. MARY'S CHURCH
The newer of the two churches in Woburn, this one, was built by the 8th Duke of Bedford around 1865-68 in a location which was more useful for his seat at Woburn Abbey than the older church in the village. For a Victorian Gothick church, St. Marys is remarkable subtle. The architect was Henry Clutton who had recently won a competition to design a Cathedral in Lille - this was never completed and so Woburn Church was his consolation prize.
Originally the tower had a spire but it was demolished in 1890 for safety reasons. The interior is very much a "faux Cathedral" with round windows and no end of Cathedral-like architecture.
St. Marys is still part of the Woburn Estate but it also functions as the Parish Church for the village.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller