WOLVERTON CHURCH

Buckinghamshire

Wolverton Church, Buckinghamshire

Wolverton Church sits in an odd position in a hollow by the Castle site amidst the lumpy remains of the deserted village of Wolverton (rather than the later still existing one) near the River Great Ouse, north of Milton Keynes.

The position of the church should be dominant, but it somehow seems over-modestly to be hiding.

The church is actually the only stonework from the medieval village of Wolverton to have survived, dating back to at least the 14th Century and quite probably to earlier. However, the majority of what can be seen is from an early 19th Century rebuild under the aegis of Henry Hakewill dating to around 1809-15.

Parts of the tower are 14th Century and the chancel is partly 17th Century, otherwise only some of the interior monuments are older than the Hakewill restructuring. Much of the stained glass is Victorian.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery