Worksop Priory Church, Nottinghamshire

Augustinian Monks

William de Lovetot made provision for land and monies to establish an Augustinian Priory here in 1103. It began life small, but grew in size and importance over the next 200 years or so. In the 13th Century the famous illuminated manuscript The Tickhill Psalter was produced by the Prior of Worksop, John de Tickhill.

Today, it is difficult to get an idea of the size of the Priory, but the Gatehouse – which is early 14th Century – stands some distance away from the Priory Church and implies a foundation of some size and importance.

All of this, of course, came to an end during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII. Worksop Priory was dissolved in November 1539 and the property was granted to the Earl of Shrewsbury one the condition that the Earl ‘provideth a glove for the right hand of the sovereign at the coronation’. This tradition continues to the present day.

The majority of the Priory buildings were removed for their stone, leaving only the Gatehouse which was used as school and the much-rebuilt Priory Church which was greatly expanded and amended by the Victorians and in the early years of the 20th Century.

The Priory Church is impressive and as large as some of the smaller cathedrals in the country, and the Gatehouse looks venerable, although could do with some care and attention but has fared much better since the road was diverted from going through the archway to around it in 1894.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page

© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller

Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery