This little church, hidden away from modern Wormley at the old parish centre, is one of the oldest in Hertfordshire. It dates to at least 1062 when the lands hereabouts were granted to Waltham Abbey. The first stone building is likely to be early 12th Century as there are two references to it – one in 1155 and a later in 1161 from Pope Alexander III freeing it from ‘all jurisdiction but the Vatican’, which implies that it was this point at which it ceased to be beholden to Waltham Abbey.
The north wall and font survive from this earliest church, whilst the rest has been restored and extended during the 14th and 15th Centuries. Over the following years Wormley slowly began to be eclipsed by nearby Broxbourne and the church fell into a state of poor repair.
In 1844 restoration work began, partly funded by a payment from the railway company for going across church land. More work continued in 1883. In 1826 the church’s wooden tower was demolished and it remained absent until 1963 when the new one was constructed.
Inside is a version of The Last Supper painted by Il Vecchio (a pupil of Titian) and presented to the church in 1797.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller