ST. PETER'S CHURCH
Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire
Woodhall Spa lacks an impressive church building. Two small late medieval churches previously existed here – St. Margaret’s which only seated 60 and was eventually demolished in 1973 and St. Andrew’s which seated 190, situated at the main crossroads in the town, which was also too small and was demolished in 1957 having been hit by a bomb during World War II.
In 1892, as Woodhall Spa began to grow rapidly, it was decided that a new church was needed. This new church would seat 600, a far more suitable number. The foundation stone was laid in March 1893 and the church – the last to be designed by prominent Lincolnshire architect Charles Hodgson Fowler – was opened for worship in September of that year by the Bishop of Lincoln.
The organ was removed from St. Andrew’s and installed here. The chancel was eventually added in 1904. The church is of very simple design, reflecting the sparse church architecture of the early 20th Century before art deco firmly took hold.
St. Peter’s did not become Woodhall Spa’s parish church until 1915 and the interior work was not completed until 1928.
The church sits back from the main road of Woodhall Spa – The Broadway – and is largely unobtrusive and less spectacular than the nearby Methodist Chapel which was constructed at around the same time.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller