ST. BARBARA'S CHURCH, WARSAW
The Church began life as a cemetery Chapel in 1781. In 1866 the Chapel was turned into the local parish church. However, it has a capacity for just 200 people and this rapidly became too small. In 1880 work began on a new Church with a Baroque dome and façade. This was opened in 1883 and could now hold 3,000 people.
The Church suffered greatly in World War II. Firstly, early on, ammunition stored in the Church exploded and then its position by the Warsaw Ghetto meant it suffered neglect and damage during the Ghetto Uprising. A year or so later it was a focal point for the Warsaw Uprising and a great deal of fighting occurred here. After the fall of the Uprising the Nazis expelled the clergy and worshippers and detonated charges around the Church. All that remained were foundations and the basements.
Reconstruction began in 1946 was completed in 1957 when the Church was reconsecrated. The exteriors were built to a similar Baroque style, but the interiors are more modern.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller