CATHEDRAL OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST
The Cathedral was first built in the 14th Century in typically Polish Gothic style. After the Polish Capital was moved to Warsaw from Kraków the Cathedral became the Royal Cathedral of Poland.
Queen Anna Jagiellon built an 80 metre long elevated corridor between the Cathedral and the Royal Castle during the late 16th Century. This was extended after 1620 when there was an attempt to assassinate King Sigismund III outside the Cathedral. In 1791 the first democratic Constitution in Europe was made official at the Cathedral when King Stanisław August Poniatowski repeated the Oath of the Constitution signed in the Castle at the Altar in the Cathedral.
Work continued on the Cathedral with a large renovation occurring in the mid-19th Century.
As with almost everything in the Old Town of Warsaw the Cathedral was totally destroyed after the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. After the War the Communist Polish authorities set about rebuilding the Old Town and the Cathedral was rebuilt using two 17th Century illustrations as a guide to its exterior appearance.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller