PAULINE CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST, WARSAW
The earliest church here was a 14th Century hospital chapel. In the 17th Century the Pauline monks had a large Baroque church constructed for them by architects Piola and Bellotti.
For the last 300 years an annual pilgrimage in August has left from this church to Jasna Gora in Czestochowa.
In 1944 the Church was destroyed during the Warsaw Uprising, for once in battle not in an act of deliberate vandalism. Work began to rebuild in 1956.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller