CHURCH OF THE NUNS OF THE VISITATION, WARSAW
The Church of the Nuns of the Visitation began life in 1651 as a wooden structure. This original survived just five years being burnt down by Swedes in 1656.
In 1664 work was begun on a new Church but work was not completed when another fire destroyed everything in 1695. Work began once more in 1728 to plans by Karol Bay in rococo style. Work was not completed until 1765.
Chopin played the church organ here, making it another stop on Warsaw's Chopin trail.
Unusually the Church survived World War II with only minimal damage and is one of the older standing Churches in Warsaw City Centre.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller