A church stood in Yaxley at the time of the Domesday Book, but this was largely rebuilt in the 13th Century and then enlarged considerably in the 15th Century. At this time a central tower was removed and the more familiar west tower was added.
Yaxley was a fairly sleepy sort of place and it seems the church merely followed the usual pattern of enlargement, followed by decline until a rebuild was ordered in 1902 – relatively late as most renovation work was done during the mid-late Victorian period.
The last work to be done was on the tower around 1910.
The interior has a number of 14th Century wall paintings and a lot of medieval work still preserved.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller