ST. CRUX CHURCH
In reality, there is no St. Crux Church remaining
The church had stood since the 1400s and was the largest parish church in the City.
The Victorians, however, decided it was unsightly and allowed it to slowly collapsed – first went the urns at the top of the tower, then the cupola fell around 1872. By 1887 the church was considered unsafe and it was demolished leaving only the small church hall which still stands forlornly at the end of The Shambles and today houses flea markets, boot fairs and the like which was built from the rubble left over from the demolition.
The famous Whip-Ma-Whap-Ma-Gate,
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller