ST. CUTHBERT'S CHURCH

York, Yorkshire

St. Cuthbert's Church, York, Yorkshire

St. Cuthbert’s is one of York’s less spectacular churches, standing near to the Layerthorpe Postern Gate in the City Walls it is recorded as being in existence by 1239. The current structure was rebuilt by William de Bowes, Lord Mayor of York and MP and was completed around 1430. It stands 110 yards from his family home.

The Thompson family worshipped in this church, and one of their descendants is James Wolfe, hero of Quebec – so the church is sometimes called “The Cradle of Canada”.

Parochially it is linked to St. Michael-le-Belfry and is currently used for what is referred to as “alternative” forms of worship.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery