FORTRESSES OF DUBROVNIK
Bokar, the distinctive jutting circular bastion which commands the entrance to the moat and Pile Gate, is one of the later additions to the City Wall system of Dubrovnik. It was started around 1461 but finished to a different plan by Michelozzo in 1570.
The City Rectors used Bokar to test the effectiveness of weaponry, firing out to sea to try and get an idea of range. It has also been used as a store for munitions, and like all of the fortifications was updated after the 1667 which levelled much of the area.
Back to Castles of Croatia
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller